Symptoms of Dry Eye Disease
Our tear layer and blinking mechanics are a highly complex system that must function well in order to lubricate, protect, and maintain the proper health of your eyes. This layer consists of a matrix of mucus which helps bind water to the surface of the eye, a watery layer for nutrition, protection and lubrication, and a thin protective oily layer to prevent evaporation. Any breakdown can result in dry eye disease symptoms.
- Burning, Grittiness, Foreign body sensation
- Redness, Itching, desire to constantly rub the eyes
- Excessive watering and tears overflowing onto cheeks
- Feeling of wanting to close the eyes for relief
- Inability to tolerate contact lenses